For Intersections this month, we are focusing on a broad support statement sponsored by the Center for Popular Democracy and 13 other organizations: the Five Principles of Just COVID-19 Relief and Stimulus. With the pandemic at hand, there is a flurry of public policy and legal issues in play. Nearly all of the issues will touch on the LGBTQ+ community to varying degrees.
The sponsors and a continuously growing list of signatories believe the following five principles should be guiding lights as the country manages through and after the pandemic:
1. Health is the top priority, for all people, with no exceptions.
2. Provide economic relief directly to the people.
3. Rescue workers and communities, not corporate executives.
4. Make a down payment on a regenerative economy, while preventing future crises.
5. Protect our democratic process while protecting each other.
If these statements are followed by lawmakers now and ongoing, all communities will be lifted off of this battlefield and can begin to restart the planet’s engines in a meaningful way. NEAT is proud to be a signatory to these principles and continues to apply them to present COVID-19 response issues that impact the LGBTQ+ community.